The NCVFA was founded in 1944 by a group of NC property owners. The first apparatus was a small hose wagon, followed in 1947 by its first fire engine, a 1927 American LaFrance. It was housed in a converted barn at the corner of Rt 179 and Rte 309. This was followed, because of a lack of funding, by a crew-member and volunteer built pumper and hose truck on a 1953 Chevy truck chassis. The addition of this apparatus led to a 30% reduction in homeowner’s fire insurance rates!