A house on Hill Top Drive burned on Friday afternoon, but no one was injured, fire officials said.
Firefighters from the Canton Volunteer Fire Department, responding to multiple 911 calls about smoke and flames in the area of East Hill Road and Gracey Road, found the attic at 5 Hill Top Drive ablaze, officials said.
Windy conditions pushed the fire through the right side of the attic area of the residence, and the roof eventually collapsed as crews fought the blaze. Falling debris caused a small brush fire at the scene, which was worsened by the dry conditions and high winds, fire officials said.
Fire crews shut off the solar panels on the roof, which could have fed the fire, and Eversource disconnected power to the residence, fire officials said.
There was no municipal water source to the area, so additional water supply was provided by mutual aid partners: Simsbury Volunteer Fire Department, Avon Volunteer Fire Department, New Hartford Fire Department and Barkhamsted East Volunteer Fire Co. Firefighters also accessed the water cistern at Red Fox Run, fire officials said.
About 20 Canton volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians responded to the scene, fire officials said.
“Canton’s volunteer firefighters were able to accomplish the many tasks necessary for a well executed, aggressive interior fire attack due to the terrific response by our mutual aid partners,” Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Goeben said in a statement. “In addition, their support gave us the time for an extensive salvage and overhaul of the residence, which allowed us to protect and save many of the family’s private possessions.”
The fire remains under investigation by the fire marshal’s office.