CANTON COMPASS: ROUTE 44 APT SUSTAINS MINOR FIRE DAMAGE

By | November 30, 2014

By: John Fitts, Editor

Route 44 Apartment Sustains Minor Fire Damage Friday Night
October 25, 2014 

IMG_0968-300x198 IMG_0952 IMG_0953
A second-floor apartment unit at 302 Albany Turnpike sustained minor fire damage Friday night, officials said.

The fire broke out in a second-floor unit at approximately 9:45 p.m. The tenants had working smoke detectors, poured water on the fire, called 9-1-1 and left the building, said Richard Hutchings, chief of the town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department.

Members of the Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department responded to the apartment and used a fire extinguisher to further control the fire.

Firefighters also initially feared the fire had spread into the walls but no such extension was found, Hutchings said.

A ladder truck from Simsbury also responded to the scene and Avon units were on standby

Canton acting fire marshal Scott Goeben said the fire was unintentional and believed to be started by an unattended candle. There was fire damage to one room and smoke damage in the rest of the apartment unit.