Canton, CT March 1, 2014… Town of Canton Volunteer Fire & EMS Department responded to smoke coming out from a chimney and into a home at 52 Bridge Street, Collinsville at 3:00 a.m. Saturday morning. All residents in the three-‐family home were evacuated by Canton Police, prior to arrival of fire crews.
Upon arrival Canton volunteer firefighters, on Engines 1, 3, 4, 6 and Ladder 2, found heavy smoke conditions throughout the three-‐family residence. They quickly located the fire inside a wall next to the fireplace of the downstairs unit. Smoke alarms in all three units were activated.
Firefighters were able to knock down the fire with water-‐based extinguishers. Although an attack line was pulled off Engine 4, it was not used which helped limit water damage to the home.
While the actual fire was contained, firefighters had to open up part of the wall and floor area around the fireplace to ensure there was no further extension. They also conducted extensive overhaul: thermal imaging, metering and ventilation of all three units. High carbon monoxide readings were found on the second floor.
The residents were evaluated by Canton’s volunteer EMTs. No injuries were reported. And, residents were able to return to their homes.
Fire Captain Wayne Goeben: “I can’t emphasize enough the critical importance of having working smoke and CO alarms in the home. They save lives and reduce damage to property.”
Canton’s Fire Police closed Bridge Street and Torrington Avenue/RTE 179, down to one passenger lane during the fire call. Volunteer firefighters from Burlington Volunteer Fire Department and New Hartford Fire Department assisted Canton’s volunteer firefighters on the scene, while Avon Volunteer Fire Department provided Town coverage, out of Collinsville station. The scene cleared just before 5:00 a.m.