Patch – Canton Volunteer Firefighters Respond to Chimney Fire on Torrington Avenue

By | December 31, 2013

Canton Patch, John Fitts – The town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department responded to the scene of a chimney fire at 110 Torrington Ave. at approximately 3:30 p.m. Monday afternoon. The fire was contained to the chimney and smoke filled the home, officials said. The cause of the fire was a plugged chimney on a single-flue woodstove, fire officials said. Volunteer firefighters used chains to clean it out.”Before you plan on burning wood have your chimneys inspected — annually — and cleaned if needed,” said Fire Chief Richard Hutchings. “And, be sure that chimney in compliance with local building codes.” Hutchings said residents should double check that they have working smoke and CO detectors as well. There were no injuries and the residents were able to return home Monday evening, fire officials said. Units from Burlington also assisted in the incident.1538834_10151839745552393_812656622_n